Welcome to Bondi Fit Surf Swim Team - we get all types of swimmers & coach Spot has been doing this for 35 years so he’s probably seen your type before! Feel free to tell him any concerns & he will guide you through!
Bondi Splash & Bondi to Bronte Program starts Saturday, November 3 with 5 options depending on your swim/ surf experience:
1. Experienced surf swimmers 8am North Bondi - meet 7:45am.
2. Rookie Surf Swimmers 9:30am North Bondi - meet 9:15am.
3. Rookie Pool Swimmers Stroke Correction 2:30pm Prince Alfred Park Pool - meet 2:15pm You need flippers!
4. Pool Swim Squad 2pm Prince Alfred Park Pool - meet 1:45pm
5. Can’t make Saturday? We also have Sunday 8am Rookies to Advanced, Monday 6am Sunrise Swim for experienced surf swimmers & Monday 5:45pm Swim Squad Prince Alfred Park Pool (in water by 6pm).
* Book NOW here
What you will learn:
- SAFETY is our #1 priority so you can breath easy! Coach Spot will show you how rips & sand banks work.
- We will show you the easiest & fastest way to get in & out of the surf!
- You will learn to relax in deep water & learning to navigate is a priority - we do sighting drills every swim!
- You will improve your strength endurance swimming in the ocean whilst developing stroke/ fitness in the pool.
- We learn to catch waves during the program so get ready to boast to your friends! When the waves get bigger we will show you tricks to use the conditions to your advantage.
All pool & surf swim squads are included as below with our #1 tip to commit to 2 - 3 swims per week to improve fitness!
* Swim Squads Prince Alfred Park Pool:
- Saturday 2:30pm Stroke Correction Swim Squad.
- Monday & Wednesday 5:45pm (in water by 6pm)
- Tuesday/ Wednesday/ Friday 6am
* Pool Entry not included & you need FLIPPERS!
* Surf Squads North Bondi Surf Club:
- Saturday 8am Experienced Swimmers
- Saturday 9:30am Rookies Surf Swim
- Sunday 8am Rookies to Advanced Surf Swim.
- Monday 6am Experienced Swimmers
- Thursday 6:30pm - specific Bondi Splash session with swim only or run/ swim/ run repetitions!
1. Rookie Swimmer - you can swim LESS than 500 metres non-stop freestyle = GREAT we can look afer you!
- 1st swim should be Saturday 2:30pm Stroke Correction & then join in any of the swim squads! Aim to swim 3 x week for the first month with the goal to get to 1km non-stop freestyle! YOU NEED FLIPPERS!
Coach Spot will tell you when you are ready to attack the surf starting with Saturday 9:30am Rookie Surf Crew &/ or Sunday 9am. Enjoy the journey - you will love learning to be a Surf Swimmer! If you commit to 3 swims per week then you will comfortably get through the 1km swim at Bondi Splash or 800m/ 2km swims at Bondi to Bronte No Problemo! Coach Spot will give you a special plan of attack for race day if you fell under-done!
* If you cannot swim more than 200 metres freestyle consider a 1 on 1 Stroke Correction Swim. Availabilty here
2. You can do 1km but are new to the surf!
You can either start in the pool OR hit the surf at our Saturday 9:30am Rookie Surf Swim or Saturday 9am All Standards Swim! You will be with similar ability swimmers & coach Spot will advise when it’s time to do the more advanced surf squads (Saturday 8am/ Monday 6am). TIP - faster pool swimmers are better surf swimmers!
3. Experienced Swimmers - you can swim 2km non-stop freestyle!
This program is designed to simply get you into shape - we have 10 weeks to work our magic! We advise 2(+) pool swims & 1 surf swim per week. If you want to swim more - great! We advise ANY of our pool or surf squads but if you are really out of shape the Saturday 9:30am Rookie Surf Swim may be a good place to start in the ocean! We also have Sunday 9am which is All Standards so you will fit in with similar ability swimmers!
Bondi Splash is on Saturday, November 24 & is our favorite race of the year with Bondi Lifeguard & sometimes Bondi Fit Coach Reidy the Race Director! There are 5 races - 2km swim, Splash N Dash (1km run/ 1km swim/ 1km run), Bondi Mile Run (1600m), Junior Splash N Dash & the Famous Duck Dash. All race details here & PLEASE join our team “Bondi Fit Defending Champions” when entering (every entrant gets a point).
Bondi to Bronte Swims are on Sunday December 2 & have an 800 metre option inside Bondi Bay or a 2.4km option startin g at Bondi & heading arounf headland to Bronte! All race details here