Want to swim in our Surf Swim Squads? Surf Swim Rookies are our specialty - we offer both squads & personal/ small group lessons. Team Bondi Fit have prepared thousands of rookie open water swimmers for ocean swims many of which have a 1km option & triathlons ranging from 300 metres to Ironman Triathlon 3.8km = yes rookies enter Ironman without being able to swim ;-)
1. Rookies Surf Swim Clinics - small group sessions & great for new ocean swimmers or anyone scared of the ocean with an emphasis on surf skills!
North Bondi Surf Club: Saturday meet 10am for 10:15am - 11:15am.
Dates: September 23, Oct 7/ 21 & Nov 4/ 11/ 25
Minimum standard: 500m+ non-stop freestyle (check out our pool options of you cannot do this) or we offer private surf swims - make contact here
Sign up here with 1 or 3 visit passes (3 month expiry) available with monthly member discounts
Bondi 2 Bronte Swim Plans starting September 23 - click here
2. Surf Swim Squads with Rookie options held weekly - ideal if you are ready to go & want to get into it! Note these have 15 - 30 participants so good idea to be competent swimmer!
- Saturday 9am.
- Sunday 9am.
- Monday 9am.
Book Now to join up - please arrive 15 minutes before advertised time to all surf swims! Please note our guide below as we have 3 categories of Rookie Surf Swimmers.
Surf Swim Clinic notes:
- Pre Swim we look & assess the surf. Coach Spot will show you what is happening - where the rips are (deep water), where the waves are (sandbanks) & the major sighting points for when we are out the back!
- Depending on the tide & swell we will start with swimming out the back in the rip (high tide) or getting across the sand bank (low tide/ waves). Yes rips will become your friend as we learn how to use them to our advantage.
- Once established you are safe out the back we will swim across the bay learning to lift & look to navigate correctly. We regularly stop to assess our navigating & to re-form the group (Spot stays with slower swimmers).
- We finish the clinic going in & out through the surf & learn to catch waves like a pro.
* At any session we are guided by the conditions & will alter the training accordingly.
Surf Swim Rookie Guide....
1. Can swim 1km in pool but scared of the surf = 'Pool Swim Syndrome'
A lot of swimmers can swim in a pool but once the black line or end of the pool is not there they panic! Even more people are convinced they will be eaten by a shark - highly unlikely! The great thing about Bondi Fit squads is that the coach will stay at the back until everyone is confident. Our weekend squads are busy so there is always someone to swim with! Simply find a partner & make a deal to look after each other – it's the way surf swimmers roll... Also take note, Coach Spot has 20 sets of eyes in his head and will be on the scene quick smart if you get into trouble!
- Saturday 8am or Sunday 10am are the Bondi Fit Squads for you. Once confident at either of these you can attend our famous Tuesday 6am Sunrise or Friday 9:30am Morning Madness!
- If you are not happy with your speed or comfort level in the ocean attend more pool squads to improve your fitness. As a general rule faster swimmers will have more options in bigger surf!
- We also offer 1 on 1 or small group lessons to introduce you to the ocean if you want extra attention.
2. Can swim 1km non-stop freestyle in a pool = No Problem!
You can attend Saturday 8am or Sunday 10am but please be aware you will need to stay at the back with Spot or Izzy at these sessions. If you are uncomfortable during the swim we suggest you attend Bondi Fit pool squad and stroke correction in the pool which will dramatically improve your comfort in the ocean!
- To fast-track, your best option is to purchase a 1 month unlimited swim pass (includes surf swims). Swim 2 - 3 times per week in a squad & you will be amazed at the improvement!
- An option is a 1 on 1 ocean swim or small group lesson with Spot to get you comfortable in the ocean - ask nicely & Spot will paddle his SUP next to you for safety! We have regular Bondi Fit Open Water Introduction Squads in summer so keep an eye on the website & Facebook page.
3. CANNOT swim 500 metres non-stop freestyle = time for pool swims or Private Surf Swim Clinic
For those unable to swim 500m - 1km non-stop we encourage you to attend Bondi Fit pool swim squads (and stroke correction squad). Your best option is to purchase a 1 month unlimited swim pass. Try to swim 3 times per week & you will be amazed at the improvement!
- We offer 1 on 1 swims in the pool and this is advised if you think your technique needs improvement.
- If you are comfortable in the water and desperate to get into the ocean we offer 1 on 1 open water lessons, but please advise Spot of your swimming ability. It is a good idea to go a pool and see how far you can swim!
Bondi Fit offer 1 on 1 or small group Surf Swim Clinics with Master Coach Spot Anderson. These are available weekly Saturday 11am, Sunday 10:30am or Monday 7:30am/ 11am. Check Book Now for availability & simply make contact if you want other times outside of our pool/ surf squad hours!
What you will learn....
- Learn to relax in the open water & even enjoy waves washing over you!
- Do drills to get you through the waves = this is fun!
- Learn how to use rips & sandbanks to safely get in/ out through wave zone!
- Do navigation drills to ensure you know how to sight where you are going!
- Swim in deep water parallel to the beach with water safety provided by Coach Spot on his SUP!
- Learn how to catch waves = this is fun!
- Faster Swimmers will swim further than slower swimmers!
* Minimum SAFETY standard of 500 metres - 1km non-stop freestyle applies!