Bondi Fit runs 3 weekly Surf Swim Squads & offer Private Surf Skills Lessons with Master Coach Spot Anderson. After 30+ years of experience he will know how to make you feel comfortable! We meet at North Bondi Surf Club 15 minutes before our sessions begin. Our Surf Swim Squads run year round #rainhailshine so come down no matter what the weather man says and we'll have a session ready for you!
Saturday 9am - Experienced Swimmer Squad: Our premier surf swim of the week - we swim across the bay, out to the headlands & chase waves! If you a training for an ocean swim or triathlon this is your session! We go for 90 minutes & meet from 8:45am for 9am sharp start! Minimum SAFETY Standard - you can swim 2km non-stop freestyle (slow is OK) & come ready for a great session!
* Note from October we offer 8am 90 minute experienced swimmer squad & 9:30am Rookies squad
Sunday 9am - Rookie To Advanced: 60 - 75 minute session with longer swims in/ out through the break - faster swimmers head out further than slower swimmers so we all pass each other on the way back in before re-grouping on the beach! We sometimes do “Out of Bondi Bubble” squads so check timetable/ booking link here if you are thinking of attending! Meet from 8:45am for 9am sharp start! Minimum SAFETY Standard - you can swim 500m - 1km non-stop freestyle! Not Ready for Squad? Click Here for 1 on 1 Surf Swim Page or Here for our Stroke Correction Page
Monday Sunrise 6am Surf Swim: 60 minute session with longer swims in/ out through the break - faster swimmers head out further than slower swimmers so we all pass each other on the way back in before re-grouping on the beach! We swim across the bay, out to the headlands & chase waves! Minimum SAFETY Standard - you can swim 2km non-stop (slow is OK) & come ready for a great session!
Cannot do safety standards? Master Coach Spot has 2 options to get you ready:
1. Private Surf Swim lessons if you can swim 200 metres+ non-stop freestyle but are scared - Click Here for availability
2. Stroke Correction Lessons if you cannot swim 200 metres non-stop freestyle to get your technique fixed by Dr Spot & ready for surf swimming! Click Here for availabilty.
Book a surf lesson with Coach Spot if…
1. You are not a strong swimmer & want ocean experience in deep water!
2. You want surf experience!
3. You want to get ready for our Surf Squads!
4. You want to get comfortable in bigger surf!
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I park?
There is 2 hour FREE parking in streets behind Bondi Surf Club, or unlimited free parking behind the Bus Depot. Meter parking is also available on the beach car park and surrounding streets. Leave plenty of time on day 1 as we start right on advertised time!
What is the minimum standard to join surf swim?
* Rookie Swim SAFETY standard: you must be able to swim 500m - preferably 1km freestyle non-stop. If you can't do this contact Coach Spot - we can safely look after you and do some stroke correction in a 1:1 Session &/ or swim squads in the pool.
* Experienced Surf Swim Squad 8am Saturday & Monday Sunrise Swim - we have a minimum standard of 2km non-stop freestyle (slow is OK). Tuesday is 60 mins & Saturday 90 minutes doing longer swims & chase waves when the surf is pumping!
Do you offer 1 on 1 Ocean Swims for Rookies that cannot swim minimum standard?
YES contact Spot & be sure to mention how far you can swim (freestyle) without stopping! He will make it a fun adventureous lesson.
Experienced Swimmers benefit from 1 on 1 lessons as Spot can improve your surf skills & take you out in bigger surf if you are up for it!
What if I'm relatively new to ocean swimming?
Stay at the back near the coach and start yourself at an easy pace! Don't worry if you don't feel comfortable in the waves at first - we think it takes 3-4 ocean swim sessions to feel like you've got good ocean skills. Be patient and try to commit to a series of squads leading up to your first swim, triathlon or race. TIP - start ocean swim training 4 - 6 weeks before goal race!
What if I'm pretty experienced?
Great! We're happy to have you and if you need a challenge, be sure to tell your coach and we'll "Scale Up" your swim for greater distance or time.
Wetsuits? We are a pro active wetsuit wearing group!
We advise strongly advise you wear a werttie when the water is colder - bring it to the beach if in doubt! Water temperature drops when we get stong north east winds so be aware it can drop ovenight even in the middle of summer! From July water temperature drops to around 16-18 degrees and won't increase consistently until December. Wetsuits also give you buoyancy and help you lot so they're a great safety device for rookie swimmers.